Saturday, August 21, 2010

The First Days of School

Well, the fact that you're reading this post at all tells that I survived!
This may seem like less of a big deal to some, but I consider it a small victory :) I think if you knew the school I am teaching in, then you may be on my side - which makes me realize that I haven't really given any background information on my school yet. For all intents and purposes of not getting sued, the information I do give is guaranteed to be vague.

I was hired to teach third grade at a public school in a low-income area. 100% of the students at my school qualify for free/reduced lunch. The student body is comprised of about 50% hispanic, 25% black, and 25% caucasian children. There are more than 700 students at my school, and I have roughly 20 students in my class...so far. Believe me, I'm praising the Lord each day to have such a low number (as compared to some schools/districts who are closer to 30 students per class); but we are expecting an increase in the population as several tend to show up after Labor Day……. I'm hoping for no more than 23!!! (Please, Lord!) Almost 90% of the first-third graders at my school are receiving reading remediation. I could go on about the high mobility rate and consistently lower than average test scores; but, I'm thinking you probably get the idea. In case some of you are feeling concerned, this wasn't one of those last resort job opportunities. I want to teach in a low income school, and I applied at this one intentionally :) I became a teacher to change the world! I realize that may sound almost cheap or disillusioned…but, I guess I am a dreamer to some extent, and I do believe that I can positively impact the life of a child this year - or maybe even all 20 children, God willing. And that IS changing the world, I think. Because children really are the future.
Amen!
Okay, I'm off my soap box!

After spending two days with my students, it is apparent that these kids will require a LOT of extra energy, attention, and patience. I'm not ashamed to say that I definitely checked my watch a few times wondering how much longer I had to buy time until specials or recess! But, I am truly excited about loving these kids until I'm exhausted (because that's how much it will take!). I believe in the abilities they don't even know they have yet. Even as I'm typing this post, I can feel my love for them growing! I'm thinking that's probably a REALLY good thing, because chances are I'm gonna need all the grace and love I can muster up in my heart!! haha

The truth is that I'm not sure if I will be able to succeed with flying colors as a first year teacher at this school. I'm not sure if I will be able to drastically raise my students' test scores. I'm not sure if I will even be able to bring them up to grade level. I'm not sure I won't have days where I'll wish I had chosen to teach in a different environment.
But I do know that I made it through two days! I made it through two days without losing my patience (and it was surely tested). I made it through two days without raising my voice (quite possibly a miracle). I made it through two days without writing a single student off (although I was tempted). And after assessing me for almost two days, one of the roughest girls in my class decided aloud on Friday (announced very frankly with one hand on her hip) that she liked me. THAT was a small, and cherished, victory for me.

As promised, a few of the "after" photos of my classroom are posted below. Again, I could never have done this alone without being utterly overwhelmed (and possibly losing my mind in the process)! A thousand thanks to my selfless aunts who spent, literally, hours working alongside me at the school and who made sure I wasn't missing too many meals! I love you guys.






And thank you, J, for sending me flowers and taking me out to celebrate my first day as a real teacher. Your thoughtfulness never ceases to amaze me. Really. xoxx

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/23/2010

    So proud of you - you ARE going to change the world!
    Lauren (and Gib)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey-

    I saw your blog post on facebook! I can't wait to follow you on this journey!!! Steven and I mentor a little boy at a 'low income' school. He is actually a refugee from Uganda! This is our 3rd year with him so we totally understand your desire to change these little peoples views! What an amazing challenge you are taking on but one that I hav eno doubt you can succeed! I know your family is proud of you!

    Hugs-Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! It looks like a totally different classroom. I LOVE the rug and all the walls look so great. I'm so proud. All your hard work paid off big time!

    Praying for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come back and do 3rd grade again in your classroom? It really was fun :) What's next?

    ReplyDelete