Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tribute

trib·ute   
–noun
1. a gift, testimonial, compliment, or the like, given as due or in acknowledgment of gratitude or esteem.


Today is the birthday of my mom, the most inspiring of all women in my life.

My mom was also an elementary teacher. Watching her as I grew up is what sparked my desire to follow in her footsteps and become an educator. I still remember dressing up in her "teacher clothes" for career day in third grade… She made her job seem wonderful to me :)

While teaching can certainly be wonderful at times, I know now that it is also a tough job. ...I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to ask her a question, wishing so badly that I could have her here with me to help me along the way. How I would love to be able to learn from her experience, listen to her advice and soak up the wisdom she'd gained over her 15 years of teaching!

Although she isn't able to be here for the day to day struggles of my first year, I know my mom has already helped me in possibly the greatest way - she helped me to find my calling. I realize that may sound cheesy, but it's true. If it weren't for her influence and example, I may never have come to know for myself the joy of teaching.

I am nowhere near the woman my mom was - I still wonder sometimes at how she managed to balance life so seemingly well. I am a disorganized mess, haha. But I have faith that I will get there someday (praying that it's sooner than later). I've only just begun the journey of trying to get my act together in such an ever-changing, problematic "industry". It's hardly a simple task.

As I was going through storage a few months ago, I came across a box of items from my mom's classroom. I remembered this decorative piece hanging outside her classroom door. It's been displayed outside mine ever since. My students touch it lightly each time they enter to remind themselves what a difference a positive attitude can make. It reminds me of her every day.



Thank you, Mom, for the teacher you still inspire me to be. You are deeply missed and dearly remembered. Phil. 1:3


It amazes me, and at the same time fills me with gratitude to realize not an ounce of my love for her has diminished over the years. Sometimes I feel afraid that I'll forget. Time heals, but it does not numb. Hallelujah.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/09/2011

    Lindsey, Thanks for reminding us. Mary had a certain way that has often come to my mind in different situations. She taught so much more than in the classroom.

    The first 100 days or so are over! The First Year will be over before you know it.

    Take Care. Diane from Horizon days

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful sign outside your door! What a great reminder to the kids and what a great reminder to you too! It's a hard job and it sounds like you are doing an amazing job during your first year. I remember how hard it was for me! :) I'll be sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How so very proud we are of you Lindsey, as I know your mom is. Mary will always be alive in our hearts and will never be forgotten. Our moms are our rocks and our love for them only grows stronger with time.

    "But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

    Hugs,
    Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this- love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so inspiring, darling! truly. you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2/18/2011

    You are such an amazing teacher and have done wonders for these kids, more than you realize. Your mommy would be so proud of you!! I wish so badly that she was here to help you along the way and to see what all you have accomplished! She will always be in our hearts and I know she is watching over you and giving you strength to get through the hard times.
    Love you,
    Cousin Shelby :)

    ReplyDelete