Thursday, February 3, 2011

Belated Birthday Post

When I was younger I always wanted my birthday to fall on a school day. That way, my mom could bring zebra cakes for the entire class and I would be the center of attention. Either my birthday never fell on a weekday from K-5th grade, or my mom never made a big deal out of it because I have no memories of an at school birthday celebration held in my honor.
That is, until my fate changed this year. I celebrated my 25th birthday a few weeks ago and, guess what, it fell on a Monday! Heck yes.

It may be 15 years later, but I finally got my school party. My students spent a few short class periods when I agreed to step into the hallway, leaving them unattended (scary thought), to plan a "surprise" party for my birthday. The goods trickled in, and when Monday came my party supply was complete with paper plates, plastic forks, oreos, and a whole lot of these

After lunch that day I let them enter the classroom first and have about 5 minutes to "set up" (which meant distribute the party horns and hide behind desks) while I waited in the hallway. When I opened the classroom door, I was greeted with 20 screaming, horn-blowing kids who I'm convinced could be heard down the hallway (sorry, teachers!). When I was able to get them relatively calm, the oreos were passed out and I was allowed the first bite - I must admit they can be sweet when they want to be :) The best part is that they orchestrated the entire celebration themselves. They were so proud!

As we were enjoying our oreos, I got a phone call from the office - only the voice on the line did not belong to the secretary…it was JB! Surprised, I quickly went to the office to meet him and saw that he'd made 30 funfetti cupcakes! I got to take them back to my class and share with my students. Perfect timing. He is truly the best :)

Thanks to 20 little rascals and 1 fantastic bf, I finally had an at-school birthday celebration! I can check that one off the bucket list! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment