Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snowpocalypse


Snowpocalypse. Snowmaggedon. Blizzard. These are just a few of the names the recent snow storm has been given. At first, I scoffed at the fact that we Oklahomans always make such a big fuss out of snow days - I mean, calling it a blizzard?? Really? However, now that I'm facing day 3 of solitary confinement in my house and the snow surrounding my dwelling has not receded in the slightest….I'm beginning to think maybe this is the end of the world as we know it. I wouldn't even be able to get my car down the driveway if I needed to. Don't get me wrong, I am LOOOving the absence of work in my life. I'm simply out of milk.
I've seen some teachers posting on facebook that they actually WANT to go back to work and are wishing the snow away…when I see those posts I am tempted to curse them for their ignorance! We have the rest of our lives to slave away at the mercy of uncivilized little people. I'm going to savor the freedom while I still can.

Tuesday morning, I woke up to the following surprise: snow. inside my house.



This was a first for me. Was my door or window left open? Not in the slightest. I guess when you live in a house built in 1923 it's to be expected that not all seals are fully weather-proof. However, the most intriguing part to me is that the snow on the inside of my living room window stayed frozen…

JB and I ventured out in an attempt to find a spot for sledding. We went to a park with some pretty good sloping hills, but the snow was so soft and deep that every time we tried to slide down, we just sank into the snow - sled and all.
Instead, we went to Norman that night and relived the college experience via a game of snow football on campus. I came prepared.


I like to think of myself as the snow ninja. No one could even tell who I was and, I admit, it was a bit creepy of me. I didn't make any new friends that night. But not an inch of skin on me was left bare to the bitter cold. Like I said, ninja.

Since then I've been hanging out in my home. Cooking. Reading. Cleaning. Sleeping. I don't own a snow shovel to clear my driveway, but the city has yet to plow any of the side streets so there's no use in worrying about the driveway. My car sits so low to the ground that it wouldn't make it to the next block without getting stuck unless the road's cleared. I guess now it's a matter of waiting for the snow to melt. Only the temperature isn't supposed to rise above freezing again until Saturday. Then, there's a chance of more snow coming into the area on Tuesday and Wednesday. So, who knows when I'll be back to work again full time! It's a beautiful world :)
Thank you, Lord, for an unexpected sabbatical to renew my spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment