Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fall Fun

This post is a bit delayed, but better late than never!

In October, I finally managed to change the bulletion board outside my classroom - just in time for Open House! To which, as stated earlier, only 5 families attended. Regardless, it needed to be changed badly from the 'welcome' themed board that had been up since the first day of school and was literally falling apart at the seams (well, staples in this case). So, with the help of a good friend who tirelessly cut out the lettering and individual pumpkins, my fall-themed board is up and running!


On the last Friday in October, I carved a pumpkin with my class. During centers, small groups of students got to take turns sharing in the different steps to create a jack-o-lantern. You wouldn't believe how many of my students had never before carved a pumpkin!
I let the students design and vote on their own face for the pumpkin, which was naturally named Mario due to the moustache.





We had a great time carving Mario :) Well worth the mess. Although, I must say, my kids had waaay too much fun with the pumpkin pulp…sticking it to their faces, rolling it into balls…you name it, they found a way to play with it.


In an effort to tie Mario to academic content, we applied the whole experience to writing - Students practiced their sequencing skills by writing out the steps to carve a pumpkin.


See, some days we do get to have fun at school :)

No comments:

Post a Comment