Friday, September 17, 2010

Throw Me a Bone, Here!

After being away from work for almost the entire week with a stand of "para-influenza" and a case of strep, I went up to my school today for maybe an hour just to finish up testing my kids for literacy - because today is the deadline to have my reports in to the district (health aside).
While I was there, my principal saw me in the hallway and stopped to inform me that a parent of one of my students came to the office this week to request that her daughter be moved into another third grade teacher's classroom. Apparently my student has been telling her mom that I can't handle our class.
My principal encouraged both mom and daughter to give me more time since I'm brand new at this (not to mention adapting to such a challenging environment!). The mom agreed that was reasonable. The daughter said, "I'll give her one more week."
Nice.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/17/2010

    Not quite sure she understands the nuances of educating children. Not sure if she's taken any collegiate level classroom instruction or childhood psychology classes, (masters level at that). Tell her she and I can sit down over a cup of coffee and discuss just a pinch of what she is yet to understand, and even that which she does not realize exists.

    “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”-Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete