Monday, September 27, 2010

A More Than Pleasant Surprise

Guys!!!!!!!

We did centers for the first time today AND it wasn't a disaster!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!

Our school day is designed for my students to rotate through learning centers for a full hour and twenty minutes each morning. The idea is for students to spend time working independently on various reading, word study, writing, and math activities while I work with small groups on targeted reading skills and strategies.
I've been procrastinating when it comes to implementing centers in my classroom...mostly because I don't trust my kids (yet) to work autonomously for twenty-minute periods (not to mention rotating around the room on their own...ha).
But, I was feeling the pressure from our literacy coach to get started; because the small literacy instruction groups really are crucial for students who are struggling. Soooo, I went for it.

First, I took time to explain how we would rotate, my expectations for behavior (mostly voice levels), and what they would be doing at each center. Then, without holding my breath, I sent each group to their first center location…
and…
they. worked. in. dead. silence.

OH
MY
GOSH
it's a miracle!!!

I'm so happy to say that my students proved me way wrong today! They can behave themselves after all :) Who'd have thunk it??

Now, naturally, by the fourth and final rotation they became a bit restless - but, guys, they worked for a full hour like civilized little beings.

I told them that if centers continued like this I was going to have to buy them all something awesome for Christmas!!
...maayybe I should have considered how limited my teacher budget is before making such an enthusiastic promise……..meh!

1 comment:

  1. Glad things are going better!
    I love the blurt chart idea I might just have to steal it! I have SOOO many kiddos who blurt out!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete