Thursday, March 10, 2011

Literacy Night

I finally got my spring-themed bulletin board up just in time for Literacy Night at my school. I was able to get away with leaving the snowflakes up through February since we received so much snow, but having a friendly snowman displayed into the month of March was pushing it… 
Inviting a surge of parents into the school for a special event certainly has a way of motivating one to update the hallway decor!
On the center of each flower my students printed the title and author of their favorite book :)

This year for Literacy Night each grade level chose an author whom we feel our students especially enjoy the works of. We had a school-wide door decorating competition in which students and their families could tour the hallways and then vote on their favorite door! (Now, we all know this really turns out to be a game of numbers since most everyone will vote on their own door, regardless of artistic quality; but it was, nevertheless, a fun idea!) …I'm realizing as I type this that I forgot to vote…oh well.
Third grade chose the Magic Tree House book series written by Mary Pope Osborne. My class decided to decorate our door based on the book Midnight on the Moon, a space adventure in which the main characters travel through time and explore the moon's surface in an effort to find the fourth and final "M" thing, which they must collect in order to free a sorceress from a magic spell. Here's how our door turned out:
My students' faces are inside each of the miniature astronauts! :)

Here are a few other door displays from around the school:
Notice the beastly monster hands creeping out from behind this door - love it!

It's been a full week of hurried laminating, trimming, di-cutting, and pasting (on top of all the usual craziness of teaching) - and I couldn't be more ready for SPRING BREAK!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment